don’t save as jpeg
as a former yearbook editor and designer, let me explain this further
if youre only planning on posting your art online, them please save it as .png ;this is also better for transparencies as well
please, if youre planning of printing your art, NEVER use png. it makes the quality of the image pretty shitty. use jpeg or pdf instead. and always set your work at 300dpi to get a better printing quality - this means, the images are crisper and sharper and theres no slight blurriness. i had a talk with my friend who is currently taking design, and pdf is much better to use when youre working with a bigger publishing company because it still has the layers intact, but if youre only planning on printing your stuff at staples or at some small publishing store, the jpeg is the way to go.
this has been a public service announcement
As per request (thanks, singingrabbitskull!), I did a half-tutorial, half-sporadic notes on how I generally render basic expressions.
There’s already a lot of cool tutorials that exist on how to do expressions, so I tried to just look at a lot of really minor details that I’ve used but haven’t seen commonly passed down.
required disclaimer: this is just how I go about it, feel free to ignore bits, steal bits, do whatever you want with them. Hope this helps, and if you have any questions scream at my inbox!
Let’s Draw Manga: Yaoi Boys Love BL Pose Collection Vol. 1 Suit Version [JP Oversized] Directed by Yuki Shimizu (Love Mode, Ze).
Publisher: Shinshokan. Check out these other books in BL Pose reference series. http://www.shinshokan.com/comic/haikei.html
It actually took me some time to find and locate these sample pages but I decided I’d share it here because I think they’re extremely handy. These sample pages can be found on Amazon Japan in the second link above as well as the Shinshokan website in the third link :3
so while being buried under schoolwork for the past few weeks i’ve been marathoning shows
guess which one i am watching through now
(copied from artist’s comments)
Thought I’d share some of my brushes since a couple of people have asked <3
These are my favourites/the ones I use most C:
1. Painting Brush: The Brush I use for most of my painting. It blends really nicely but you have to merge all your layers. It’s nice and smooth and especially good for grass, fur, and small details.
2. Marker Tool: I mostly use the Marker tool for sketching, because it’s soft and subtle and lines just turn out so much nicer <3 Also good for bushes or leaves. (fav.me/d6v9lg6 as shown here) Picture above is a really bad example of what it is capable of, sorry ahaha :L
3. Pencil Tool: Basically the same as the pen tool you automatically get in SAI, but with slightly changed settings for sharp, crisp and smooth lines C: I always use this one for lineart.
4. Marker Tool #2: Completely different to marker tool one. I use this one to lay down my colours while painting and not much else. It blends ok. Reason I like it though because its really good to lay down the colours you’re going to use, as it’s slightly see through, without making it look messy.
5. Acrylic Tool: I really need to rename my tools pff. Basically the same as the previous tool but with much better blending.
6. Fur Tool: Although I’ve never actually found a use for this tool (sigh) it’d be really good for fur and I love the way it looks //v\ just haven’t found a use for it yet.
7. Water Tool: Ahaha wow I use this tool way too much. I use it for getting my shading to look softer at some parts, I use it for blurring, blending, lighting, adding effects ect. ect. Its one of the tools that comes with Paint Tool SAI when you first get it but I think the settings are changed a bit.
How to make new brushes in SAI
Most of you probably already know how to make yourself brushes in SAI, but here it is just in case. Right click one of the light grey, empty boxes underneath your tools, and select a tool base. (for example pen, brush, marker, acrylic, eraser) This will be the starting point of your brush. then just edit the settings, and give it a name C:
Feel free to make/use these C:
I have nO idea if I explained this well haha
if I made no sense feel free to ask me questions
anyway I JUST
i see an awful lot of this
AND IT’S SUCH A SHAME
I mean theres nothing wrONg with the hair thing
it’s just that more often than not that’s aLL people do, when you could do so much more
I just did a real quick tutorial about character design. It’s focused on pokémon (cause im a dweeb), but the same concepts apply to any critters; pokemon, human or otherwise!
i doodle a lot in history because i sit all the way in the back
(it looks better on light colors and just give me credit if you want to use it or something please)
a quick and sloppy tutorial on drawing profiles for the anon who requested it. hope this helps some people!
Roxy doodles while I was supposed to be learning about quadratics lol